Author: Dr. D Maheshwari, Consultant & Fertility Specialist
Reproductive health issues are on the rise among both men and women. These reproductive issues lead to infertility. A man struggling with fertility and reproductive issues is fairly common these days. Although there are a lot of advanced treatments and cutting-edge technology in the field of medicine, people continue to look for alternative natural methods and holistic ways to heal and address a health issue. And yoga is one among the many methods. Yoga, an ancient practice has been part of the Indian health system for almost more than 8000 years.
How does yoga help to improve fertility and sperm health?
Adopting yoga as a daily practice is extremely beneficial for overall health and it also enhances fertility.
· It helps in the relaxation of body and mind lowering stress and anxiety. As increased stress levels affect sperm motility and count.
· Yoga enhances blood circulation and detoxifies the body. The health of the sperm depends on proper blood circulation.
· Yoga practice can effectively stimulate the glands to produce hormones like testosterone which is crucial for producing more good quality sperm.
· Yoga along with any other form of exercise enhances overall wellness physically, emotionally, and mentally, which can improve sperm health and its production.
· Yoga is also known to boost sex desire by healing any sexual dysfunction.
Let’s take a look at some of the postures that can enhance sperm quantity and quality to improve fertility.
1. Setu Bandhasana: The Bridge pose increases the blood circulation to the pelvic region to stimulate and improve the mobility of the sperm.
2. Halasana: Also called as Plough pose, along with improving spine flexibility, it enhances sperm mobility and increases sperm count.
3. Dhanurasana: Bow pose increases blood circulation to the penis and boosts sperm count. It also works wonders for the spine, abdominal muscles, arms, and thighs.
4. Naukasana: The boat pose builds and strengthens the pelvic floor muscles. It raises the body’s testosterone level. It also is a beneficial posture that improves male fertility by boosting the blood flow to the penis.
5. Ardha Matsyendrasana: Also called Half Lord of the Fishes pose. In addition to improving the body’s flexibility this pose boosts sperm count and sperm mobility. This posture works the waist and the lower back muscles.
6. Siddhasana: This posture helps in the treatment of erectile dysfunction by increasing blood circulation to the penis.
7. Padmasana: One of the most popular postures, the lotus pose enhances and tones the muscles of the pelvic floor and the lower body which promotes fertility in males.
8. Agnisar Kriya: This posture is one of the oldest yoga poses that is considered to be a cleansing technique. It strengthens the abdominal muscles and is beneficial for maintaining the overall health of the sperm.
9. Uttanapadasana: This raised leg yoga pose stretches and strengthens the hamstrings, lower back, pelvic floor, and abdominal muscles. It helps with male fertility issues like erectile dysfunction by increasing blood flow to the penis.
10. Pranayama: Pranayama is a set of controlled breathing techniques that help in alleviating stress and anxiety. Stress is a major contributor to fertility problems in males.
Yoga doesn’t solve fertility issues in a jiffy. It takes continued and regular practice to show efficient results. Even though yoga is known for and proven to be effective in healing infertility, it is important to consult a fertility specialist/andrologist and address your issues regarding infertility so that you can receive appropriate treatment.